Wahey, there! Did you watch a lot of spooky movies this month? I’ll definitely be carrying on my watching throughout November, and most likely even December, because there are always tons and tons of spooky movies to watch and they are all calling my name. But unfortunately, this month had a bunch of movies I was waiting to see and a couple of them fell flat. But that happens a lot.
This is also a long one, sorry not sorry. And I had to separate the post into 2 because otherwise – it’d be massively long 😁
- Hocus Pocus 5 🧙🏻♀️
- Three sister witches (who’re just trying to enact a little bit of revenge, yanno) have to deal with the modern world and ***shiver*** children as they try to live once again.
- I’ve FINALLY FINALLY WATCHED THIS, and I can say that is an excellent movie!! And I’m totally on the Sanderson sister bandwagon – like I’ve just seen tons and tons of gifs from the movie and now I watched it? Iconic, will watch again.
- The Curse of La Llorana 3 👻
- A social worker and her two kids face trouble when they unknowingly attract a spirit.
- I was super super excited to see this and had watched the trailer a whole bunch of times and I was disappointed. Maybe this is was one of the movies I’ll just have to watch another time – alone or even later in the night and I’ll see how I feel about it then.
- It had a great scare factor and I did really like all the lore about La Llrona – let’s be real, I’m always there for the lore.
- I don’t even know where or what went wrong. I liked the characters – the kids were cute, and I thought the plot was a good one, I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I hoped I would?
- Eli 2 👦🏻
- So a boy who’s sick (auto-immune disorder) and his parents take him to this special, like house? With a doctor who proclaims to cure him of this? And anyway, creepy things start to happen and he’s not sure what’s going on and who to trust.
- My girl SADIE SINK is in here and she’s the best thing about this movie, sorry, I don’t make the rules.
- So what was good about this movie is that it kept you in the dark for a long time and slowly revealed to the audience – and I liked it – because the main character is a kid, therefore we are watching the story unfold through a kid’s eye, which means a kid’s viewpoint etc. I might’ve put my rating up to 3 stars, but then the plot happened and sighhh. The plot went a place near the end and I’m like ‘where on earth did you find this plot/story line because honestly I saw nothing through the ENTIRE movie to warrant this?
- I liked the movie and I might’ve even liked the plot/story line – if they worked on it a bit more. Like if they started to explore more of the eventual story line earlier in the movie – I would’ve been happy, but the way they showed the story line just did not make sense?
- Ma 5 👩👧👦
- This woman starts buying alcohol for a group of teenagers (because no one’s taught them not to talk to strangers, naturally. So, she decides to invite them all to her house (because she has no hobbies) and lets them go all out for parties…until she starts acting weird.
- I looove Octavia Spencer and wanted to see how she would do in her first? horror movie – is it her first? Because I don’t really think The Shape of Water can be classified as a horror movie.
- But in the beginning I thought it was going to be a case of trailer is better than the movie – which is a thing I hate. And then I was pleasantly surprised! Octavia Spencer can do no wrong! She’s excellent and we love her. And the movie has a super interesting plot and Suprise!! Some of the teenagers ACTUALLY look like they’re teenagers – like the love interested looked like he was 14 or 15? And I was happy because you don’t see that a lot? It’s mostly just adults or near 30 year olds playing 16 and all.
- Very suspenseful and omgs all the way.
- Haunt 3 🤡
- A group of friends decide that there’s nothing else they’d want to do on Halloween than go exploring a Haunted House. And of course things happens because it’s what to be expected.
- Just to clarify – I’ve never been in a haunted house. Haunted houses are very interesting, but are they like that? I’d probably go to one, but just be freaked out of my mind.
- But this one was another annoying case of the trailer being better than the movie – why oh why is it like this. It’s not that it was a bad movie – it was good, I just didn’t feel the same way about it that I thought I would’ve after seeing the trailer. I liked it and all, but there was nothing about it that screamed YESSS, GOOD MOVIE, yanno?
- In the Tall Grass 4 🍃
- A brother and sister walk into an enormously large field of tall grass after hearing a kid asking to be helped. And I’m like through this entire movie – a), why does no one call the police first and b) has there been no call to action about cutting all the grass?? And of course, if you’re wondering, scary things start happening once they’re in the grass. Because this is how these things work.
- I was super super invested in this movie as soon as I saw the trailer and when I finally watched it I was like A BIG WHOLE LOAD OF HUHHH because this movie is hella confusing. It’s a good movie, just confusing. Confusingly good? One of the two.
- I’m not going to spoil it for you, but it does have a ton of dark cinematography (ugh) and there’s a few story lines that all mix up together and it made for a very confused DB who had like 3 tabs open about explaining the ending before the movie ended.
- Midsommar 4 💐👑
- A group of friends travel to Sweden (a bit for fun, but also a bit for academic reasons, I guess) and they go to a cult (because they have a friend who’s from the cult) and you know, spooky things happen. Which is one of my favourite tropes.
- First of all, EUSTACE CLARENCE SCRUBB!! My boy!! He’s a very different kid in here than he is in Voyage of the Dawn Treader or even in Maze Runner. He still has weird eyebrows, don’t worry.
- Also, please do not watch this if you have a weak stomach, because it is gory and has a lot of extreme scenes.
- But I really really liked this movie? It’s interesting and you get to really feel for the main character (the girl) and oh my goodness the plot went there and I liked it a lot! The movie poster is also beautiful!
- Annabelle Comes Home 3 🎎
- After Annabelle keeps making a mess, the Warrens keep her locked in a cage. Even though I thought she was locked in the cage from one of the other movies (that’s the problem with these types of movies, they jump from one timeline to another and you have to try to keep ahead of it all). The Warrens are out for a night so the kid’s babysitter and a friend are at the house to witness all the spooky things that happen.
- It was a good movie, but it didn’t hold much interest for me as Annabelle Creation did – the second movie in the Annabelle franchise. I think they should’ve worked on the plot a bit more, but you know, what do I know? I just watch a whole bunch of horror movies like all the time, right?
- But also!! Once again, is there a petition for good lighting? I know dark or low lighting is supposedly scary and all, but like?? How am I meant to be scared if I can’t see anything??
- Happy Death Day 2U 2 🎂
- Everything that happened in the first movie (girl wakes up dying again and again) happens again, just in a slightly alternative version.
- I surprisingly liked the first movie, and was happy to see there was a sequel in the works (though didn’t watch the trailer before seeing the movie – maybe that was the problem). I didn’t really enjoy the sequel. I think they were trying too hard?
- The Babadook 5🕴🏻
- A guy who’s just trying to make friends meet a mom who’s not at all convinced and tries to protect her son. I’m joking, the mom reads a book to the son and it somehow summons The Babadook.
- This is actually a rewatch and I loved it even MORE than before. Like it’s just so good?? And it’s also a realistic spooky movie! Like you can see all this happening and I love that! Normally with horror movies you get a lot of characters that you have to try to connect to and then they die off but I love movies where you get a really small cast and then connect with them more easily.
Yay! Be sure to look out for my part 2 tomorrow, with well, more movies! And, even though I didn’t add it here, I think I might write a separate post on a series I really really loved!
5 thoughts on “What I Watched This Month – October Part 1”
The curse of la Llorona wasn’t was I thought it would be either,, it was okay and I actually don’t even remember what I thought about it now xD but could’ve been better, what attracted me most was that it’s a real legend and stuff.
Okay erm.. I gotta say I STILL haven’t watched hocus pocus 🙈 I should fix that but erm.. not sure I want to honestly..
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m glad I found someone who feels the same about La Llorona as I do! I liked that it was based on a local legend and all, but that was about it, I guess.
Haha, you should! Hocus Pocus is great!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Y E S! A fellow horror film lover! I haven’t watched Hocus Pocus yet actually, and I really need to do so DD: I have heard such mixed things about The Curse of La Llorana and I am sorry it disappointed you so much I might still give it a go and enjoy the lore factor while I can. Ugh, I haven’t seen Eli and I will skip right over it. i clearly NEED to watch Ma. I watched Midsommar and wow… I loved it. I felt like it was eerie and creepy the whole way through. Not relying on jump scares but the fact that things feel ‘off’ the whole way through. It was chilling and I felt like the cinematrography was spot on. I really liked Happy Death Day but the second one sounds so disappointing… we will see if I give it a go or not.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yes!! Horror films!
Hocus Pocus is good! Yeah, I should’ve looked at the reviews for La Llorona before I watched it. definitely go watch though – I really liked the lore factor but it lacked in other parts.
I mean, Eli was sorta okay, just that they should’ve worked on the plot/story more.
Ma is so good, right!!
Yes to Midsommar!!! I kept thinking I didn’t like it and then I stopped and was like ‘no I actually really love it. The cinematography was indeed gorgeous.
Yeah I was really happy with Happy Death Day but unfortunately the sequel did not live up that happiness 🤷🏻♀️
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] What I Watched This Month – October Part 1 […]